Hands-on time: 30 min
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- A good handful of watercress
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 40g chopped chorizo, skinned
- 50g broccoli
- A dollop of crème fraice, to serve
- A handful of sourdough breadcrumbs
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and gently fry the veg for 10 minutes until soft. Stir in the smoked paprika and cook for 2 minutes. Add 450g of the purple sprouting broccoli to the pan with the stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 5-7 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Cool slightly, stir through the watercress, then blend until smooth. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice, taste and season.
- Chop the chorizo into small pieces (or use 60g chopped chorizo). Heat a pan with the remaining 4 tbsp olive oil. Add the chorizo and a handful of sourdough breadcrumbs (or black pudding) and broccoli with some sea salt, tossing to coat. Cook until everything is crisp, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Warm the soup and divide among bowls. Add the crisp fried topping and finish with a dollop of crème fraîche.
- Swap the chorizo for 60g crumbled black pudding
Recipe thanks to our friends at delicious magazine.